counter

What Ever Happened to Susan Powter of Stop the Insanity?

Anyone who watched infomercials in the 1990s might still be haunted by memories of Susan Powter. Best recognized by her short-cropped, platinum-blonde hair, Powter peddled a health and weight loss system called “Stop the Insanity!”

Powter’s program was pretty much the same kind of nutrition and exercise system sold by nearly every other kind of infomercial weight loss guru, but she used the marketing gimmick of being against the “diet industry.” One of her infomercials even featured parodies of her fellow infomercial gurus, such as Tony Little. She also portrayed herself as some kind of a feminist and often spoke disparagingly about her ex-husband on her infomercials.

Here is a video clip from one of Powter’s old Stop the Insanity infomercials:

So what ever happened to Susan Powter? Apparently she is still under the illusion that anyone is interested in her advice. She has a website at susanpowteronline.com, and the 50-year-old Powter fancies herself some kind of vlogger, making a seemingly endless number of rambling and incoherent videos, such as:

Excuse my language, but: That is one scary middle-aged bitch!

Anyone who has watched the above video will not be surprised to learn that Susan Powter is now out, loud, and proud—which means that Powter and Miss Cleo could form a club of infomercial has-beens who have come out of the closet. Powter was a guest onboard one of Rosie O’Donnell’s gay and lesbian cruises, where she was interviewed by “Ross the Intern” from The Tonight Show.

I don’t know if Powter attended Rosie’s 2008 cruise as well, but if so that would have meant that Rosie O’Donnell, Ross the Intern, Ant, Danny Noriega of American Idol, and Susan Powter were all in the same place at the same time, making that cruise ship the center of the universe for talentless losers trying to milk their 15 minutes of fame.

Powter’s pathetic attempt to associate herself with people more famous than herself continues on her website bio, which claims she has been “dubbed ‘the Lenny Bruce of Wellness’ by Shape magazine.” That’s an apt comparison because Susan Powter looks like she may keel over from a heroin overdose at any moment.

It is ironic that Powter earned her reputation by promoting a product called “Stop the Insanity!” Insanity is the last thing in the world Susan Powter is qualified to stop.

Comments

• 51 Responses to “What Ever Happened to Susan Powter of Stop the Insanity?”

• Powter made a long interview appearance at Retrocrush as well:

Comment by TTFK on April 15, 2008 at 3:59 pm

• So, Paul Lucas is it? How many best sellers do you have? Published by? TV appearances? Did your own show how many times? Radio? Your own radio show? Interviewed on Leno or Letterman, or any talk show? Best selling videos? Oh, I see… maybe you got it wrong… maybe it’s you who is under the illusion that anyone is interested in YOUR writing. I’ll be reading Susan’s new book The Politics of Stupid while I’m checking the NY Times best seller list for your next book, but I won’t hold my breath. Now that would be insanity.

Comment by Kennedy on April 16, 2008 at 10:14 am

• You sure seemed interested enough to leave a comment. Thank you!

Comment by Paul Lucas on April 16, 2008 at 10:59 am

• Wow, susan powter is a nut. She reminds me of margot kidder or Sean Young. Heck, or even ultimate warrior.

Amazingly, the videos on her site are edited, meaning they had to be reviewed several times and probably by multiple people. Yet at no point did someone say, “you know this is batshit loco, right?”

Comment by jon on April 26, 2008 at 12:49 pm

• This is a very sad, pathetic video by a woman who clearly has lost it. There is a very strong hint that she has broken down in the fact that she is trying to raise money for “young” woman held in institutions against their will. Perhaps she was there. I feel so sorry for her and her children if she has any. Yikes, this was so frightening to watch!

Comment by medavinci on May 31, 2008 at 9:02 am

• Over the years, sometimes hype catches up to people and they become overpowered by it.

I think the vlogs are stream-of-consciousness and I find them difficult to watch.

The one thing I really agree with though, is that we should know the ingredients in what we’re eating. I am very careful. Dairy is a problem for me and I do eat more fresh fruits and veggies.

Her website is very well designed as far as layout.

Comment by Rita on June 19, 2008 at 5:41 am

• I THINK SUSAN POWTER ROCKS AND YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN THERE BEING BIG AND YOU JUST NEED TO STOP PUTTING PEOPLE LIKE SUSAN DOWN SHE IS ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS AND AN INSPIRATION TO US GALS IN AUSSIE LOVE YA SUSAN KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK

Comment by CAROLINE on September 10, 2008 at 1:43 am

• I don’t know what the HELLL is going on in this video. WHATT is it about? What’s with this broken camera? Is she trying to sell it or som’m??….
    She’s just not blended, she says… I know, it goes without say……

Comment by Bekay on October 3, 2008 at 2:43 am

• That is one UNHAPPY fucking hasbeen.

But, it definately goes to show you…..some people are soooooooooooo lucky to be born in America. Think of it, THIS sorry excuse for a human being PROBABLY made a TON of money at one point.

Comment by nick on October 11, 2008 at 9:30 am

• Why are folks so mean? What happened to peace, love, charity and kindness? What would happen if, just for a day, everyone put down their judgment, cruelty, and wicked opinions? I’d like to see that, I really would.

Comment by Zeena on April 20, 2009 at 4:15 pm

• It just kills me how many people take her word as truth when she has absolutely no education in nutrition, no eduction in exercise physiology, I don’t even know if she finished high school. She like to hear herself talk and has a huge ego, but says a lot of nothing besides its good to eat organic healthy food and exercise. No kidding. Who doesn’t already know that.

Comment by Kerry on August 5, 2009 at 7:02 am

• Um Susan once wrote a book called Sober and staying that way. Maybe she should start drinking again so at least she’d have an excuse for the crazies. If you think that this video was weird then you should check out her BlogTalk radio show where she rants about the evil white men that are poisoning everything we eat, we breath, and we touch and how only the lesbians with children can save us. Hey Suzy if being lean strong and healthy is so great then why are you so angry?

Comment by C Selica on August 16, 2009 at 7:49 pm

• She was born in Oz not the USA

Comment by Mahat on November 26, 2009 at 3:13 pm

• Same old crazy, now with white-lady dreads, nose ring, tats and ecofeminism (all trends that went stale sometime in the mid-’90s!) She must have had one hell of a midlife crisis.

Comment by Edith Prickly on August 9, 2010 at 10:14 am

• I knew Susan when she lived in Dallas years ago. She used to be a topless dancer at the Million Dollar Saloon. I saw her around for years and don’t remember ever seeing her fat. I think the picture of herself she used to show how fat she was (she claimed 260lbs) was a picture of her when she was pregnant. She has two biological sons and an adopted son I believe. She always struck me as being very angry and manic.

Comment by Bubba Frank on October 30, 2010 at 9:26 pm

• Ooooo such jealousy & backbiting!! I wonder if “nick” who left one of the viler comments could possibly be the cheating ex husband she spoke of?? Leave Susan alone! We love her & you can tattle-tale your mean stories all day long cuz we really don’t care.

Comment by Jdv on November 7, 2010 at 4:41 pm

• she doesn’t believe in vaccinating her children. That says it all.

Comment by Dave on June 16, 2011 at 4:20 pm

• This lady has accomplished a lot and has helped many to lose weight. Have you read any of her books? You are so misinformed. Do your research before you write a rant about someone you know very little about.

Comment by Erika Cailao on August 27, 2011 at 11:51 am

• I Regret forgetting what I learned 15 or so years ago when I was super skinny and fit following what she taught. After being brain washed and confused by the diet industry, I’m going back to following her regimens! she was right all alone, and now more than ever, people! Nick, what the hell is a man doing in women’s blogs, anyways? you are a hater! I bet you are a fat ass.

Comment by Marisa Hardy on September 11, 2011 at 9:28 pm

• I think its funny this woman tried to help people get to a better place in life. Yes shes a little excentric but to call her a has been when you are a never has been or gonna be is pretty pathetic and stupid.. Put the cookie in your pathetic over stufed body and shut the hell up!

Comment by too funy on November 9, 2011 at 8:08 pm

• Loved her book and was so inspired by it that I googled her…but after seeing her ramblings on her blogs, I’m put off. She clearly shows bi-polar characteristics of the incoherent ramblings ..and high sexual drive (mentions in her book this need many times) this illness brings. She is manic in so many of her blogs. Also her want to be creative (the making of the bracelets) is a huge characteristic of the illness. I agree with Bubba Frank in point 15…in her book there are no fat pics except 1 that looks like she’s pregnant. Always thought this was odd!! Still her book was a great comedy to read even if it wasn’t true in real life but a figment of her bi-polar brain 🙁

Comment by Ms Honey from Oz on January 23, 2012 at 10:00 am

• poor susan. i feel so sorry for her and her family. what happened to susan ?? looks like cosmetic surgery on her face that didn’t turn out well at all. i hope she is doing o.k. it doesn’t seem like she is. i wish her well, i really do. take good care of yourself, susan !!!

Comment by linda thompson on February 11, 2012 at 2:13 am

• Huh? Susan looks great, but I have no clue what she is talking about. I used to buy all her videos and books. I wish her well. 🙂

Comment by Vicky on April 23, 2012 at 10:01 pm

• Wow. That is disturbing on so many levels. That poor, poor woman. I truly hope someone is keeping a very close eye on her. Even in her hayday she was a little “off”, but likeable. Now? She can’t keep a coherent thought going for more than 5 seconds.

Comment by Jen on April 30, 2012 at 5:07 am

• I think Susan Powter is a great lady! She has helped many—A very kind person—I wish her the Best of every thing!

Comment by Mary O'Neill on July 31, 2012 at 10:56 pm

• Susan Powter is amazing. End of story. I love her! My poor sister of 480lbs lost 80lbs. Because of this angel and that is good enough for me!!! Peace all! And Fuck you!

Comment by Laura on September 26, 2012 at 8:41 pm

• Hi there, I’m disappointed to see such rude comments about a person you’ve probably never even met. I’m not a fan of Susan’s per se, but I am a fan of kindness & such disparaging is part of the problem of our culture. The video you have offered is simply and attractive intelligent woman having fun with herself and those who admire her. She created a revolution in the health industry and she will always be an icon for that. As for “young” women in slavery, this is a very real issue and it’s advocates like Susan who help free them and make the world re-think it’s cookie cutter attitude. What is your mark on the world; what is your legacy?

Comment by Redvirgo on April 26, 2013 at 10:15 am

• I don’t follow Susan Powter, but She does know about exercising and diet. I know from personal experience years ago, I was was exercising and dieting and lost about 30 pounds. The programs works if you stick to it.

Comment by kathy king on May 2, 2013 at 3:43 pm

• I’m sure she’d be a lot more fun and interesting to hang out with than the judgmental a-hole who wrote this piece about her.

Comment by Patricia Song on October 14, 2013 at 9:12 am

• Susan certainly has changed. I met her years ago at an event. She was lively…but in a fun way. Years later our paths crossed again as she was being thrown out of a hotel I worked in in Seattle. She had gone from lively and charming to entitled, embittered, snarky and dismissive to we peasants who worked in the hotel. We let it slide because dealing with the “you work in the service industry so I can treat you like shit” attitude every day, but when she started stinking the place out with weed we had to kick her out. Ruled don’t apply to her, she made that very clear when she was being evicted. Hate to break it to you, being an infomercial star and author doesn’t mean you get to smoke week in a non-smoking hotel.

Comment by BringBackInsanity on January 2, 2014 at 11:01 pm

• LOVE Susan! I was lucky enough to do her classes
    in Dallas with her and buy all her awesome workout gear in
    Highland Park! Where is she now!?

Comment by Heather on March 22, 2014 at 4:14 pm

• Wow… I’ve learned so much from Susan I lost 150 pounds went from 305 to 150. All you people want to talk crap leave her alone what has she done to you. So what if she rambles talks too much or doesn’t make sense don’t listen to her then. Its your choice to listen or not to but this kind of hate is not necessary it just causes a lot of back biting on you…

Comment by Christy Houser on August 1, 2014 at 12:43 pm

• I think this post was unnecessarily hostile and insulting. Susan might be bipolar (I think she definitely shows signs of ADHD), but she’s not pathetic because she is open about her struggles. She might be an anti-vaxxer, which is a shame, but all in all I still enjoy taking short dips into her writings and videos. Her exercise videos are classics, and I love how she keeps emphasizing that people need to work at their own level and concentrate on their own experience rather than feeling uncomfortable working out with people who are thinner or fitter. She is a recovering alcoholic, too, and I’m always inclined to support people in recovery. I’m glad a number of the commenters here are standing up for her.

As far as the embedded video; yes, it’s a little weird. But she’s just a lady rambling for fun and putting it on YouTube. Millions of people do that!

Comment by Lumpy Space Princess on October 15, 2014 at 12:39 pm

• Mania isn’t pretty. Grandiosity, selfishness, egotism, bitterness, vindictiveness. That’s mania.

Comment by I think she crazy on January 24, 2015 at 3:25 pm

• MR. Lucas…I realize this is a old blog, but wanted to find out what happened to Susan Powter…Mr. Lucas…how can you have so much hate, and venom for someone you do not know? I read your blog twice…and it seems you are full of hate, and ranting and raging over a women you have never met…perhaps you have bi polar tendencies? I always thought Susan was eccentric…but she did know a lot about exercise and nutrition…because of her I stopped starving myself to lose weight, and became healthy…I still use her exercise videos to this day.. and let us say she is Bi polar…so what? Mental illness is a chemical disorder of the brain, and is no different then having diabetes, it is not the persons fault…I do not know if Susan is bi polar or not, and neither do you, unless you are a doctor…you sir need to do some soul searching, and work on yourself, before judging others!

Comment by Lisa on March 25, 2015 at 6:24 pm

• Based on the above incoherent video of Susan Powter, sadly it looks like she’s kind of gone downhill. But I have to say her television videos in the 90s inspired me and I lost a lot of weight. I recall going to my doctor for blood tests, and he was envious of my cholesterol levels and said he wished his were as low.

Comment by Marnie on May 8, 2015 at 2:56 pm

• I happened upon this site as I searched “whatever happened to Susan Powter,” and I was disappointed to see the line, “Excuse my language, but: That is one scary middle-aged bitch!” No, I will not excuse your language, nor that sentence. And as a writer and a therapist, I can think of a thousand ways to describe that video, but I think that one line truly speaks volumes about the author and his attitude toward women. It would be equivalent to me watching a video of some guy and saying, “Wow, that’s one scary middle aged asshole!” Is this intelligent blogging? No, it’s just someone venting their issues. You can do better.

Comment by Donna L on May 9, 2015 at 3:35 pm

• Wow, just wow. I realize this is an older blog, but I am trying to find information on Suzanne Powter. It amazes me how people can spew so much hatred toward someone they have never spoken with and most likely will NEVER speak with. Someone who has NEVER done ANYTHING to them, good or bad. I guess being anonymous on the internet makes you 10 ft. tall and bulletproof, enough so you can attack complete strangers. This goes for the author of the pathetic article that didn’t provide any of the information I was seeking, just a hateful immature critique of someone he doesn’t even know. Just curious, Mr. Lucas, are you by chance an estranged husband, boyfriend/girlfriend using a pseudonym or maybe you’re just a “mean girl” middle school jealous little girl? Since I can find absolutely no information regarding your credentials or background I will take lack of information as the “review” of YOUR adoring public.

Comment by Penelope L. Penderhausen on July 13, 2015 at 6:27 pm

• Omg…such mean people in the world! At least Susan made her mark in this world…I applaud you Penelope at least you used your full name!

Comment by Ronnie on September 10, 2015 at 5:39 pm

• She should be ashamed of herself. (she probably is) She is the person who shouted the “It’s not food that makes you fat. It’s fat that makes you fat,” myth on TV for years.

Comment by Aaron on December 5, 2015 at 11:18 am

• I remember her, and she was nuts then too.

Comment by Debbie on December 8, 2015 at 7:12 am

• Where is she now?

Comment by Gary on February 3, 2016 at 6:46 am

• If you wouldn’t refer to Miss Cleo as a scary middle aged ni***r, then you shouldn’t refer to Powter as a b****. Sexist is as bad as racist.
    And what does her age have to do with anything? She was a nut long before she reached middle age-anyone who confuses addiction with disease needs psychiatric help.

Comment by d on May 3, 2016 at 5:46 pm

• Wow! Your world are vile!
    Susan helped me tremendously – get healthy, work hard at it, and laugh while I was doing it.

Anyone who uses their abilities to help humanity is a wonderful person in my book.

Also, you sound like you have a problem with gay people. Are you in the closet?

On any account, do a little self-help and judge your own vile behavior instead of picking out others imperfections as if you’re a God qualified to do so.

Comment by Andree on September 11, 2016 at 12:26 pm

• I searched for Susan Powter and happened on your site. What a load of rubbish you write. Susan impacted people of all generations and cultures and her work is testimony to the many lives she helped. You’re writing are an unfortunate load of crap ramblings.

Comment by CA on October 15, 2016 at 5:21 pm

• Why is it that guys with small dicks and brains, and NO career feel the need to belittle people.As we say in New York “Yo, you’re a scumbag,and if I saw you face to face , I’d give you a fuckin’ tuneup” !

Comment by Bill Billio on November 18, 2016 at 4:24 am

• Aren’t you embarrassed being so publicly a woman hating, tinydicked, envious little man? Maybe Trump will have a place for you in his administration LOL

Comment by Horsewoman on November 28, 2016 at 10:23 pm

• So many crazy douchebags in the comments here. She was always, as far as anything public, nuts. Apparently she knows how to draw other nuts to her. Maybe she should get a nice secluded compound and make a heavy investment in flavor aid.

Comment by Anonymous on December 4, 2016 at 4:47 am

• Wow! I can’t believe the hate on this side for someone who is a total stranger! Geeze, people are so sad. I remember Susan Powter’s exercise videos. I loved them! I was totally inspired by her and stayed in great shape on her exercise program. Whatever she does with her life is her choice, but I benefitted greatly from her work as a trainer!

Peace out….

Comment by Heartwing on February 9, 2017 at 10:00 pm

• I don’t see what all the hate is about? even if she is crazy… people who can get thru this world with bipolar deserve our respect… I have seen her on twitter and tho she may be difficult to talk to, I see ZERO reason for this hate. please make it stop

Comment by Elaine on February 11, 2017 at 11:26 pm

• I lost a lot of weight following her program back in the 90s. Yeah, she’s a little… non-traditional, but that caught my attention and when I tried her way I got results. Today I googled her out of curiosity and apparently came across the He Man Susan Powter Haters Club website. *shrugs* To each his own, but not sure how she could have had such a profound negative impact on someone that he felt the need to trash her online more than a decade after she disappeared from the public eye.

Comment by Sun on February 23, 2017 at 9:18 am